The Joint Cefic-ECRN Position Paper on EU Industrial Policy has been officially issued. The paper highlights the constant growth of the chemical industry and its importance for the European economic wealth. Nevertheless, investments to sustain new production capacity are lacking, and while the transition toward a more sustainable production is getting momentum, it is fundamental for Europe to take into account the role of the chemical industry, the maintenance of its growth and competitiveness. With these considerations, the joint Position Paper makes several recommendations for an EU Industrial Policy Strategy:
- A truly functioning and well connected energy-only market
- Reduction in regulatory burdens
- Trade openness and key trading partners
- More innovation for sustainable development
- Digitization to protect the future competitiveness of the chemical industry
- Circular Economy and open access to renewable raw materials, bearing in mind that economy will still depend on fossil resources.
These requires the future EU Industrial Policy Strategy to present a coherent action plan that brings together and streamlines measures in a variety of EU policy areas.
The Joint Position Paper can be used by ECRN to proactively engage in the formation of the European Industrial Strategy in the next months.