The European Entrepreneurial Region (EER) award is an initiative of the European Committee of the Regions (CoR) that identifies and rewards EU regions and cities with outstanding, future-oriented entrepreneurial policy strategy, regardless of their size, wealth or specific competencies. The territories with the most visible, forward-looking and promising political vision are granted the EER label for a specific year. Until today, 27 cities and regions have been awarded this label over the past 10 years, including the region of Brandenburg (2011), Flanders (2014) and Lombardy (2016).
The aim of this initiative is to contribute to the implementation of the Small Business Act for Europe (SBA) in partnerships and to demonstrate optimal use of EU and other public funds oriented towards the development of an entrepreneurial policy within the region. The EER label is an opportunity for local and regional actors to demonstrate how SMEs and entrepreneurs can increase the resilience of their economy. By harnessing their potential to create growth and jobs, the EER label enables EU regions to move further along the path of economic recovery.
The EER label is open to any EU territory — below the level of the Member State — that is endowed with competences at a political level and able to implement an overall entrepreneurial vision. Within the EER scheme, “regions” are defined in the broadest sense, including communities, autonomous communities, departments, Länder, provinces, counties, metropolitan areas, cities, as well as cross-border territories with legal personality.
EER 2020 call for applications
Following the launch of the EER 2020 edition at the SME Assembly in Graz, Austria, up to three regions will be awarded the EER label for the year 2020.
- 19 November 2018: Launch of the call for applications
- 27 March 2019: Deadline for applications
- 26-27 June 2019: EER 2020 award ceremony
How to apply?
Submit an application consisting of the following items:
- an application form, including a fact sheet on the applicant territory, an outline of its political vision, a description of foreseen governance mechanism to ensure efficient implementation of the EER actions, as well as an action plan and a communication plan;
- a declaration of political commitment demonstrating that the territory’s EER strategy is endorsed by its political leadership (e.g. the regional assembly, the regional government or other authorised political bodies).